Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pokemon White

After a long absence, I have come back with the intention of making this thing about more than just MtG. A blog in truth, I suppose. You will see from this entry, though, that I have not progressed very far.

So I bought Pokemon White version today. The last Pokemon game I played was Silver, which the internet tells me came out in 2000. I bought the game solely because of nostalgia, and because I need something to do when no one comes into the restaurant where I work.

Like all pokemon games I have played, and hence all pokemon games ever, I started off by talking to some professor (Juniper, this time) who will soon start me on my quest to "catch 'em all". Despite knowing my character from birth, Professor Juniper has no idea what my name or gender are. Once these small details are out of the way, she introduced me to my best friends Boy and Girl. I find myself far less willing to take the peculiarities of the pokemon world in stride now that I'm not in middle school, I guess. At least she didn't ask me to name her son.

I was then faced with a familiar choice: Grass, Fire, or Water. I already forgot all of their names, but it doesn't matter because they all sucked anyway. The grass pokemon looks like some sort of snooty, leafy duck, the fire pokemon is a pig, the water pokemon looks like a sea otter with a panda's head and a beaver's tail. Traditionally, I have always chosen a fire pokemon to start. Charmander in Red version, despite the fact that it was impossible to beat Brock with anyone but Squirtle unless you spent one million hours training a Butterfree until it learned that one psychic attack, and Typhlosion in Silver version, despite the fact that he evolved into a weasel and the water guy turned into some sort of tiny Godzilla.
So I chose the water guy this time. It looks really stupid now, but it HAS to get better when it evolves, right? Now that I think back on it, the grass pokemon from Silver looked stupid to start and stayed that way, soo...
I guess we'll see.

I'll say now that I am going into this game blind and I kind of want it to stay that way. That was the best part of playing the first Pokemon game. You had no idea what was coming, what you'd encounter, and what your little guys would evolve into.
I want that feeling again.

I digress, though.

Boy and Girl chose grass and fire, respectively, and they of course wanted to battle immediately. Both made the classic mistake of not constantly attacking, and so I beat them both. The rest of my time in the starting town is a blur of skipped conversations and useless dialogue. Somebody's pokemon got nicknamed Pimpy (after the Squirtle my best friend traded me back in Red/Blue days), I got a pokedex and a phone, and then it was off to Route 1 to be taught how to catch pokemon (which hasn't changed, thankfully) and to be given pokeballs! This last part is great. No waiting until you get to Viridian City and having to buy pokeballs this time around, you can catch the buggers immediately. Which is what I did.

I bagged a small puppy (not joking) who was promptly named Clarence, and some sort of raccoon/rat whom I named Bandit. He looked more like Johnny Quest's dog than the dog did anyway.

The first town is named Accumulate or something stupid like that. I got shown around the Pokemon Center, which now includes the PokeMart, which is nice.

As soon as I left, though, I was confronted by TEAM PLASMA, who I can only assume is this game's Team Rocket. They said something about Pokemon Liberation. I guess this is Nintendo's response to the fact that the Pokemon games are pretty much just Cock Fighting: The Game.
These guys seem on the level right now, but I'm sure they're going to turn out to be dicks. Time will prove me right.

I got to meet my rival soon after, The Mysterious N. He's some sort of Pokemon hippie, I guess? He's got a ponytail, says pokemon talk to him, and is just a weirdo in general. He had some sort of cat. I don't want to talk about him anymore.

Anyway, Boy informs me that I need to beat gym leaders to be a good pokemon trainer. That hasn't changed either, I see. This should be interesting. I am done talking about this now, and we'll see if I ever do this again. I owe you nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment