Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Homelands

Okay, for this second post I have decided I'll let everyone (no one?) in on a little pet project of mine. For a very long time now (since 2000 or so, I think) I've been collecting bits and pieces of the oft-ridiculed Homelands set. Now, I have a reason for this. You see, the hobby shop near my house from which I bought MtG back in the day has a booster box of Homelands that has been around for ages. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who has bought anything out of it in recent years (or maybe ever). They're also pretty cheap considering the fact that they only have 8 cards in them, so when I was younger I would buy a pack or two since they were so inexpensive. This turned into a kind of tradition, I suppose. Whenever I go home for a weekend, I invariably end up heading over to Creative Corner (the store mentioned above) and picking up some cards, and more often than not, I purchase a booster of Homelands or two. Thus my collection has grown, and with it my desire to one day own the entire set.
Of course, that's not the ONLY reason I started buying up Homelands cards. I also have a very soft spot for old cards that has to do with my own personal experience with Magic (probably a topic for another post), and Homelands was really the only "old" (in my mind, pre-Tempest) expansion I could get my hands on without buying cards online. I think I saw some Fallen Empires boosters once, but that's it.
Anyway, below I will list everything I own from the Homelands expansion, including instances of multiple art where applicable (I would link to each one individually, but gatherer doesn't have both versions of the cards for some reason). Should be fun, right?

Land & Artifacts: 10/15
Aysen Abbey
Clockwork Gnomes
Clockwork Steed
Clockwork Swarm
Ebony Rhino
Feroz's Ban
Joven's Tools
Koskun Keep
Roterothopter
Serrated Arrows

Red: 16/25
Aliban's Tower (both versions)
Ambush Party (both versions)
Anaba Bodyguard (both versions)
Anaba Shaman (both versions)
Dwarven Sea Clan
Dwarven Trader (both versions)
Winter Sky

Blue: 17/25
AEther Storm
Baki's Curse
Dark Maze (both versions)
Giant Albatross (both versions)
Giant Oyster
Labyrinth Minotaur (both versions)
Memory Lapse (both versions)
Merchant Scroll
Narwhal
Reef Pirates (both versions)
Sea Sprite
Sea Troll

Green: 14/25
Autumn Willow
Daughter of Autumn
Carapace (both versions)
Folk of An-Havva (both versions)
Hungry Mist (Gemma flavor text)
Joven's Ferrets
Leaping Lizard
Rysorian Badger
Roots
Shrink (Gemma flavor text)
Willow Faerie (Gulsen flavor text)

Black: 20/25
Baron Sengir
Black Carriage
Broken Visage
Cemetery Gate (both versions)
Dry Spell (both versions)
Feast of the Unicorn (both versions)
Koskun Falls
Sengir Bats (both versions)
Torture (both versions)

White: 17/25
Abbey Gargoyles
Abbey Matron (both versions)
Aysen Bureaucrats (both versions)
Aysen Highway
Beast Walkers
Hazduhr the Abbot
Mesa Falcon (both versions)
Rashka the Slayer
Samite Alchemist (both versions)
Serra Aviary
Serra Paladin
Trade Caravan (both versions)

Total: 94/140

A few thoughts:
First, the mana fixers in Homelands are just terrible. Even when I was younger I knew they were terrible. The whole cycle was just useless.
Some of these are very off-color, which shouldn't be surprising since it was an early set. In particular, I'm thinking of Willow Faerie and Ghost Hounds. Ghost Hounds in particular is the only mono-black card ever printed with vigilance (Cairn Wanderer doesn't count).
Some of these really aren't that bad, though. Joven's Ferrets is a pretty respectable 1-drop, and I've always liked Giant Oyster. Cemetery Gate is a personal favorite of mine, and has a permanent home in any Pestilence deck I make. Ihsan's Shade isn't bad, either. It's a little pricy at 6, but a black 5/5 with protection from white is nothing to scoff at. Speaking of black legends, Baron Sengir is such a cool card. He's like a white Mr. T, if Mr. T were a MtG card.

Well, that's all I have for now. New cards will be added as I get them.

2 comments:

  1. Ahm Stalkin' you! Yeah I didn't know you were so into MtG. I sorta stopped after Judgement and my decks lie half-assembled, except my sliver deck, brooding with malignant sentience.

    I like your critical assesments of MtG and reminds me of why I fell in love with it the first place, strategy...
    -Paul Pfaff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only recently got back into it for real, and it's only because I found out a bunch of people I knew and hung out with on a regular basis all used to play, so we all started playing again.
    Judgment and Torment were great sets though, weren't they? Black and white were my favorite colors back then, so those two expansions were great for me.

    ReplyDelete