Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Baby's First Draft

So as I mentioned previously, on the 17th me and five others did a (slightly strange) booster draft. First, there were six of us. Second, we each had 4 packs instead of 3 (all M10, though). I think it was good, though, since it was the first draft for everyone there.
I had a good time, and learned a lot (which is the most important thing). I ended up with some great cards, too.
We played one game against each other person (best of 3 would've taken too long), and I ended up going 4-1. Anyway, I'll just post the deck I ended up playing, an aggressive green deck with a splash of white:

Land (16)
3x Plains
13x Forest

Creatures (15)
1x Blinding Mage
1x Silvercoat Lion
1x Kalonian Behemoth
1x Ant Queen
1x Deadly Recluse
1x Llanowar Elves
1x Craw Wurm
1x Cudgel Troll
1x Giant Spider
2x Stampeding Rhino
2x Elvish Visionary
2x Runeclaw Bear

Other (9)
2x Divine Verdict
1x Overrun
1x Howl of the Night Pack
1x Entangling Vines
2x Giant Growth
2x Rampant Growth

My first pack had Ant Queen in it, so from the start I assumed I'd be playing green. I also grabbed a Divine Verdict and Blinding Mage early on, so white seemed to be good too. I guess I didn't follow through on it, though, since I ended up with only 4 white cards total (all 4 of which you see in my deck list). There was a lot of blue and red floating around, and I actually took some blue on purpose, such as Polymorph, Merfolk Sovereign, two Flashfreezes (both to keep others from having them and to add to WU Flyers) and a near-playset of Merfolk Looters.
I picked up both the Kalonian Behemoth and Overrun later in the rounds both times (i.e. I didn't open either of them), and was quite pleasantly surprised to see them. I later found out that the guy who opened the Overrun also opened a Garruk, and the people between us weren't playing green (it was rather late in the draft). I think that's also how I got the Behemoth.

A quick aside: In my first game, I managed to both play and lose my Behemoth. Let's just say my opponent had a Righteousness in his hand and a Rhox Pikemaster on the battlefield. I didn't even get the satisfaction of the Pikemaster dying!

Now we come to my favorite part, where I talk about all the mistakes I know I made. First of all, I didn't pick up nearly enough white. I feel better knowing that it was a popular color, but I know I could've picked it more than blue and done alright. I was surprised at how well Entangling Vines worked, and if I had known it would do that well, I would've taken more than just the one. I also wish I had taken the first Deadly Recluse I saw, and I wish I had taken that Acidic Slime. There was an early Howl of the Night Pack that I missed out on because it was early and I wasn't sure if green would be my main color.

Well, that's all for now I think. I had a lot of fun, and I hope to do this drafting thing again sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment